Sunday, May 8, 2016

McCAIN AND TRUMP

From a news report 8 May 2016:
After months of largely avoiding questions about Donald Trump, Sen. John McCain broke his silence about the presumptive Republican presidential nominee's provocative rhetoric that targeted McCain last summer.
Trump ignited a firestorm last July for his criticism of McCain, asserting he was only a war hero "because he was captured."
"I like people that weren't captured," Trump said then.
In a CNN interview Sunday, the Arizona senator called on Trump to apologize to former prisoners of war.
"I think it's important for Donald Trump to express his appreciation for veterans," McCain said.
The Arizona Republican, a decorated Vietnam War veteran who spent years in captivity after being shot down during the war, emphasized that the apology should not be about him.
"What he said about me, John McCain, that's fine. I don't require any repair of that," McCain said. "But when he said, 'I don't like people who were captured,' then there's a body of American heroes, and I'd like to see him retract that statement. Not about me, but about the others."
Though McCain said he'd support Trump's presidential bid, he added that Trump's ad-hominem attacks during the campaign bothered him "a lot."
End of news report
My comments:
Although I support many of Mr. Trump's stated positions during this primary season, I fully agree with the above comments by Senator McCain.  Except for one.  Mr. Trump's apology should extend to Senator McCain as well.  Mr. Trump, Senator McCain is a hero.  Many of us say stupid things.  What you said about Senator McCain was stupid and incredibly unfeeling.  Please apologize to him and get on with your campaign.  I can support you, but not without the apology to POW veterans Senator McCain calls for and not without an apology to Senator McCain as well.  I am a Vietnam War veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment